Sunday, August 17, 2008

I'm A Sideshow Freak

This weekend was the Cucumber Festival in town. Now, being a mom of 4 BOYS I tend to attract a lot of attention with that fact alone, but add to that my hubby being out of town and I take all four of them alone and you've got a bird of another color all together.

The comments range from the rude "OMG! You have FOUR BOYS?! You poor woman!"

to the awstruck, "I don't know how you do it!"

I've even gotten a few "You are so amazing!"

Well, I didn't ask for this. I don't think I'm special. I'm certainly not amazing. I'm just a mom with four boys....four very active little boys who enjoy a good street carnival as much as families who only have one or two children. I don't think that the size of my family should limit us on where we go or what we do. Sure we have more financial restrictions than if we only had 1 or 2 kids, but that was our choice and we are doing fine.

And, why should a "single" mom not take her four kids to something like that?! I mean really....why should I stay home and not enjoy all life has to offer just because I chose to have more children than most? I taught my kids manners and patience and how to behave in social situations. I don't get much begging or crying. My kids RESPECT my answers when they have a question. When we are out, then the best behavior better be there. They know that's what's expected and they live up to it. It doesn't mean that they don't get to have fun or be little boys. It means they have limits....like no running up and down the street and all over without telling me exactly where they're going to be. You want to go jump in the bouncy house? GREAT! I'll be right here, come back when you're done. Simple as that. Usually I'm within sight of them, anyway.

So, I didn't ask to be the sideshow freak at the street carnival, but apparently we're quite entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. Now Jessie....just ignore those people. Imagine the looks I got with 7 kids! When I went to the park one time (and I did have a couple of extras along) someone asked me if I ran a day care! And at the store one time a guy said to me that I must be a good catholic or an oversexed protestant! (Slightly embarrasing!)
    But the kids usually behaved well when we went out also. A lot of times better than people who only had one or two. And you are right. This is your life and you just take it a day at a time and it does not seem abnormal at all! Maybe they are just jealous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Leave a comment....I comment back! :) I do allow anonymous comments, but please, if I know you, leave some sort of identifying info. Thanks so much!!